Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Prey by Michael Crichton

Book Details
Prey by Michael Crichton
Hardcover, 364 pages
2002, Harper Collins
ISBN: 0-06-621412-2

Synopsis
In the Nevada desert, an experiment has gone horribly wrong. A cloud of nanoparticles (micro-robots) has escaped from the laboratory. This cloud is self-sustaining and self-reproducing. It is intelligent and learns from experience. For all practical purposes, it is alive. It has been programmed as a predator. It is evolving swiftly, becoming more deadly with each passing hour. Every attempt to destroy it has failed. And we are the prey.

Review
I don't know much about nanotechnology. I have no way of knowing if this book was even remotely in the realm of possible. I would imagine it was, since Michael Crichton was always very good about that. I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. When a book focuses on a topic I am completely clueless about, I worry that I'm not going to be able to follow the plot even if the topic is dumbed down for me. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could enjoy the thriller without constantly having to wonder what the hell they were talking about.

Rating 

Links
Michael Crichton's website

No comments :

Post a Comment