Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Book Details
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
Paperback, 160 pages
2003, Aladdin
ISBN: 0689856741

Synopsis
First published in 1903, The Call of the Wild is regarded as Jack London's masterpiece. Based on London's experiences as a gold prospector in the Canadian wilderness and his ideas about nature and the struggle for existence, The Call of the Wild is a tale about unbreakable spirit and the fight for survival in the frozen Alaskan Klondike.

Review
I remember The Call of the Wild being a perennial book report choice for many students when I was in school. I never selected it and for that I am glad. I don't think it would have held my interest in elementary school as it barely held my interest now. While reading the book, I saw the hard life of a dog through a dog's eyes. It was a decent enough story but I just can't grasp why it's a classic. There was a lot of dog on dog violence and some brutal animal abuse. All in all, it was kind of depressing.

Rating

2 comments :

  1. I remember loving the audio book. But yah I can understand the book being tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those books about dogs broke my heart in one year in grammar school - Shiloh, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Call of the Wild. I don't know that I can ever read them again!

    ReplyDelete