Thursday, February 25, 2010

Haunted by Kelley Armstrong

Book Details
Haunted by Kelley Armstrong
Paperback, 528 pages
2005, Bantam
ISBN: 0553587080
Series: Book 5 of Women of the Otherworld

Synopsis
Smart-mouthed Eve Levine, a witch with a reputation for breaking the rules, may be dead, but as she proves in this overstuffed paranormal romance (a follow-up to Industrial Magic), she can still raise hell in the hereafter—which, in this case, is a curiously ordinary dimension in which ghosts like Eve and her also deceased former lover, a sorcerer named Kris, can bicker, have sex and use their paranormal powers. The Fates, three elusive sisters, are the rulers of this otherworldly dimension, and they have a job for Eve. If she can defeat a demonic Nix who's wreaking havoc in the human realm by inducing people to kill, she'll earn her wings—literally. The catch: she can't capture the Nix without the powers that angelhood affords.

Review
Haunted was a surprising, interesting addition to the Women of the Otherworld series. Eve and Kristof dead are way more fun than they ever were alive. I was completely fascinated by the history of the Nix and the infamous women it had inhabited in the past. Eve and Savannah are both interesting characters, but whenever they focus their energies on each other, the story seems to come to an abrupt halt. Haunted seems to remedy some of that and once through the muck, there is no stopping these characters. Definitely one of the better books in the series.

Rating

Links
Kelley Armstrong's
Website
Twitter
Facebook

3 comments :

  1. I agree about Eve and Kristof being more interesting dead. I thought we learned a lot more about them.

    I can't wait to read the next one that focuses on Savannah! I just hope that it returns to some of the things that I've really enjoyed about Armstrong's books because I haven't felt the last two that I've read (I'm not totally caught up in the series) were quite as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've never read any of Kelley Armstrong's books. I've read good things about them, and I even have a few sitting on my bookshelf, but I've never gotten around to them. I might have to pick one up soon! I really want to see if she's as good as I've been hearing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you, Haunted was exciting and a very enjoyable read. I also loved reading more about Eve (and Kristof), and especially about Eve's mission. I enjoy Eve's badass-ness, she is definitely different than the usual heroines who know and respect the rules.

    Though in my opinion Broken, the following book in the series was not this good, you should read on since book 7 gets better again! :-)

    ReplyDelete