Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Airman by Eoin Colfer

Book Details
Airman by Eoin Colfer
Hardcover, 416 pages
2008, Hyperion Book CH
ISBN: 1423107500

Synopsis
Born in the basket of an air balloon, Conor Broekhart is sure he is destined to fly. But at 14, he accidentally witnesses the murder of his tutor and the sovereign of the tiny Saltee Islands where he lives, and everything changes. Villainous Marshall Bonvilain throws him into prison, convincing him that his family believes him guilty of the crime. Thus begins his new life as inmate Conor “Finn,” who devotes his considerable abilities to breaking out of prison.

Review
I read Airman because I'm a big fan of Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. His engaging, child-like humor really brings his stories alive. Unfortunately, Airman didn't contain his usual style and flair. While still an interesting and well written story, Airman doesn't come close to his other books. Maybe Colfer has set the bar too high and is having trouble even competing with himself.

Airman is a historical-type book that takes the reader back in time to before people flew routinely. Flight is a major theme in the novel, touching just about every event in Conor's young life. He's a dreamer and after seeing a murder, his life goes downhill. The plot was good, but felt familiar. Perhaps this book would be a bit more engrossing to the kids it is written for, but as a pretty well-read adult I would have to call this book average.

Rating

Links
Eoin Colfer's website

5 comments :

  1. Have you read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book he wrote? I haven't read any reviews of it, but since you're a Colfer fan I thought I'd ask. I need to pick the Artemis Fowl books up someday. I keep hearing great things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the exact same as you. I read it because I love Colfer's humour in the Artemis Fowl series and while Airman isn't a bad book... it isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His Artemis Fowl series is the best thing he's written I think. I did read the Half Moon Investigations which turned out to be good. I just had to try twice to read it. I liked his Hitchhiker's book though.
    I'm not too sure about trying Airman though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely.

    I have something on my blog for you http://pushersink.blogspot.com/2010/03/blogs-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to the audio version of this one and really liked it, but I also haven't read the authors other works. Maybe once I do I'll see a difference.

    ReplyDelete