Sunday, March 14, 2010

Twice Dead by Kalayna Price

Book Details
Twice Dead by Kalayna Price
Paperback, 266 pages
2010, Bell Bridge Books
ISBN: 0984325670
Series: Book 2 of The Haven

Synopsis
Newly undead shifter-turned-vampire Kita Nekai is coming to grips with the reality that her cat has not awakened since her change. What she needs is a little time to adjust to her new liquid diet and the increasingly complex attraction to her sire, Nathanial. What she gets is a headless harlequin. With the body count rising, Kita is dragged into a dangerous game of vampire politics. Her involvement draws the attention of an ancient vampire known as the Collector who has a penchant for acquiring the unusual - like a pureblood shifter-turned vampire. Kita still has unfinished business of her own and finds herself deeper in magical debt. It's a bad time to be a kitten who can't slip her skin.

Review
I loved Twice Dead in an extreme way. It's almost as though Kalayna Price snuck into my head and wrote the perfect book for my tastes. There is a creative balancing that portrays vampires, shapeshifters, mages and other things that go bump in the night in the human world.

In this second book of the Haven series, Kita's situation between Nathaniel and Tatius reached new heights. The previously touched upon vampire council was featured in some fun ways and we a few more hints as to how Kita's shapeshifter past is effecting her current vampire state. Combined that with an insane mystery that threw me though a loop and you have yourself a fast-paced, can't put it down read.

This is one of the very best urban fantasy series I have read. Price has cemented herself as one of my new favorite authors. Calling this book perfect doesn't begin to do it justice.

Rating

Links
Kalayna Price's
Website
Twitter
Facebook

2 comments :

  1. I have loved both of Kalayna Price's book in this series (Haven Series), Once Bitten and Twice Dead. I'm looking forward to her third book, Third Blood. As is typical for me, what drew me in and captured me was the developing relationship between Nathaniel and Kita. We learn more of her past and slowly get glimpses of his. I love how she shows different sides of the "magical world" - both good and bad -and then the "good" shine brightly. These books will leave you with your head and your heart pounding for the next story. Great job, Kalayna - and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I've never heard of this series, but I'll be looking for it now.

    ReplyDelete