Monday, July 12, 2010

Spotlight Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls

Maggie Stiefvater is the author of the New York Times bestselling novel Shiver, hailed by Publishers Weekly in a starred review as "a lyrical tale" and by BookPage as "beautifully written, even poetic at times, and a perfect indulgence for readers of all ages." She is also the author of Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception and Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie. She lives in Virginia with her husband and their two children. You can visit her online at www.maggiestiefvater.com.

I had heard so many wonderful things about Shiver that I knew I wanted to read it ... someday. When fans of the series started intensely lusting over the upcoming Linger, I figured I should probably see if the series really was as good as almost every person in the world was making it out to be. The fans were right. Shiver impressed me with its unique take on werewolf mythology and amazed me with a love story so intense I couldn't stop there. Linger continued the story, giving even more fascinating background on the werewolves and taking the realistically raw emotions portrayed to an almost unheard of level. The Wolves of Mercy Falls have left me not just wanting, but needing to find out what happens next.

Important Characters to Know
Grace Brisbane - Grace was bitten by a wolf at a young age. She has always identified with the wolves who live in the woods beyond her house, especially a certain yellow-eyed wolf. She learns that the wolves are actually werewolves and her wolf is a teenage boy.

Sam Roth - Sam is a werewolf and a musician. He's been in love with Grace since the first moment he saw her.

Isabel Culpeper - Isabel has always been the popular, mean girl. When her brother is killed by wolves, she doesn't take it at face value. She turns to Grace to explain what is really going on.

Rachel - Rachel is one of Grace's two best friends. She is the only one of the three with a boyfriend which is causing the friends to grow apart.

Olivia - Olivia is Grace's other best friend. She loves photography and is very interested in the wolves, but she's not nearly as obsessed as Grace.

Beck - Beck is Sam's guardian. He has raised Sam since he became a wolf and the only father figure in his life.

Cole St. Clair - Cole is a musician and a newly bitten werewolf.

The Wolves of Mercy Falls
(in reading order, links lead to my reviews)
  1. Shiver
  2. Linger
  3. Forever 
If you like The Wolves of Mercy Falls, you should try:
The A Gathering of Faerie series by Maggie Stiefvater
The Fallen Angels series by Becca Fitzpatrick
The Castor Chronicles series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
The Fallen series by Lauren Kate
The Need Pixies series by Carrie Jones

5 comments :

  1. Great post! I love Maggie's writing I have read all four of her books and can say she is one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Shiver right now! I was instantly drawn into the story with that killer opening scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book three in the trilogy has a name; Forever.
    As for your list of books to try; I read her Faerie books, and I'm reading Fallen and Caster Chronicles. My sister won't let me read the Fallen Angels series, and I never heard of Need Pixie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cari - Thanks! I really need to pick up her Faerie books!

    @Lady Q - Yes! These books are very hard to put down.

    @Missie - Can't blame you there!

    @Riv Re - I had heard it was going to be called forever. She won't let you read the Fallen Angel series?

    ReplyDelete