Saturday, August 7, 2010

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Book Details
Insatiable by Meg Cabot
Hardcover, 464 Pages
2010, William Morrow
ISBN: 006173506X

Synopsis
Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her bosses are making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them.

Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die. (Not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does.)

But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met whom she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future. . . .

If she even has one.

Review
Insatiable is a light, enjoyable paranormal with a bit of a chick lit feel. It's funny and modern, with roots in history.

Meena knows when people are going to die and she embraces that gift as much as possible. Even though most people never believe her, she still tries to at least give them a nudge in a life saving direction. She lives with her unemployed brother Jon and has been single for a very long time. Enter Lucien, the vampire prince. And Alaric, the Palantine guard sworn to hunt and kill the vampire menace.

Meena is a soap opera writer and has just been forced to add a vampire storyline to the show, not that she believes in them, even after meeting Lucien. There's a bunch of foreshadowing with the symbol of the Dracul (Lucien's half-brother's band of bad guy vamps). Even with the hinting and the build-up, the bizarre turn during the big fight scene is still just weird. Better to have skipped that particular twist.

All-in-all Insatiable is a fun vampire romp that manages to maintain a deadly edge throughout. A great mix of humor and death.

Rating

Links

9 comments :

  1. I got this at RWA but have been on the fence as to if I want to read it or not. I couldn't get a feel for what it was about. Thanks for the review! I feel forewarned about the twist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just finished this book and enjoyed it very much but was a bit disappointed with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun read. I really like Meg Cabot.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I'm not really into vampire stories, I think this will be interesting. Am sure gonna get this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm simply itching to try this :) great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone is giving me this book--I am super excited! I can't wait to get my hands on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Karen - It's like a chick lit paranormal parody of sorts. Very funny, but not much with the serious vampire intensity.

    @Deedles - Yeah, the book does lose some steam once the big (strange) fight occurs. The ending felt pretty open for a sequel too.

    @Julie P - It was fun. This was my 3rd Cabot book, but the first of her adult books I read. It's light like all of her books (as far as I know) but with a little more danger than I'm used to seeing from her.

    @Wajiha - It is about vampires, but it's kind of mocking them too. Meena's job as a soap opera writer forced to start writing vampire story lines shows the current craziness for anything vampire now in real life too.

    @Juju - Thanks!

    @Felicia - Oh, lucky! I won it through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, but I definitely would have bought or borrowed it if I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I won a copy of this book and it's just sitting on my shelf waiting to be read... Hopefully soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tara SG - I think you'll really like it.

    ReplyDelete