Thursday, September 9, 2010

Interview with Bob Fingerman

Bob Fingerman, author of Pariah, has been kind enough to stop by Reading with Tequila to answer some questions.

Bob Fingerman authors both graphic as well as straight prose novels. His books include the critically acclaimed graphic novels BEG THE QUESTION (a reworked collection of the comic series MINIMUM WAGE) and WHITE LIKE SHE (both Fantagraphics). Other books include YOU DESERVED IT and RECESS PIECES (both Dark Horse Books), and the illustrated novella, CONNECTIVE TISSUE (Fantagraphics).

His debut prose novel, BOTTOMFEEDER, was published in 2007. From Fangoria's Book of the Month review: "If, like me, you've been looking for the balls that have been torn from the modern vampire, you need to pick up this book."

His newest graphic novel FROM THE ASHES (IDW), a satirical "speculative memoir" set in the post-apocalyptic ruins of NYC was released in March 2010. Bob's new novel, PARIAH, was released by Tor in July 2010.

He lives in NYC with his wife, Michele.

Reading with Tequila: Pariah is a refreshingly intense zombie novel. Everyone has their own reasons why they love zombies. What's yours?

Bob: Because they’re everyone’s problem. They’re apocalyptic. They’re the end of all things. Also, they’re not evil. They have no minds and no choice in the matter. They’re just regular guys and gals. There’s nothing sexy or romantic about zombies. They’re rotten, moldering, walking piles of need and neglect. What’s not to love? Plus, they’re not characters; they’re the situation (and not the one on Jersey Shore; he’s a different kind of plague).

RWT: Mona is an enigma, being able to walk among the zombies unharmed. In your mind, is she born to be the survivors’ savior or more of a lucky accident?

Bob: I don’t believe in predestined paths or fate, so she isn’t born to be a savior. Lucky accident, I guess. But how lucky is it to end up being errand girl for the helpless?

RWT: Pariah is filled with mean, sarcastic humor. It feels very real, much like what many think but never say aloud. Does this type of biting (no pun intended) dialogue come naturally to you, or did you have to really force yourself into the characters mindsets?

Bob: Dialogue comes easiest to me. I’ve always enjoyed writing it, be it in comics or novels.

RWT: Pariah goes beyond your average zombie mayhem. Much of the book focuses on the humans’ psychological issues and breaking points. If you were one of the survivors, how do you think you'd react to the situation?

Bob: I’d pretty much be Alan. He’s my stand-in. I’d react in utter horror and disgust. Thing is, I’m not the most optimistic person you’ve ever met. I’m not sure I’d be able to soldier on like this bunch does. They say we’re all hardwired to want to survive; to stay alive. I’m not sure if I’d be able to do that. But if I did, I’d pass the time drawing, painting, like Alan. I don’t think I’d go all Rambo and kick zombie ass. I’d just try my best to not get eaten.

RWT: You're a well-known author of graphic novels, but only recently have you ventured into prose novels. Have you found there to be any surprising differences between the experiences?

Bob: Well, not that recently. Recently published. I started writing novels in 1999, but it’s taken this long to start getting published. It’s a tough business to break into. The differences in creating them are pretty vast, actually. Graphic novels are more physically exhausting but easier, because once they’re written the execution becomes almost instinctual for me. Drawing a page is almost automatic, so I can talk on the phone or listen to music and podcasts when I work. Writing is 100% concentration. I need silence when I write. No distractions. Also, I can only produce pure thought for so long. My longest writing day is about eight hours, and after that my mind is mush. That includes editing time and research or whatever. I really write maybe six hours, tops. The rest of the time is going over what I’ve written, making sure it flows well. Cutting stuff. Doing comics, at the end of the day you have a physical piece of art to show for your labor. You can look at it, so that shows the productivity easier. Sure, you can read your pages, but it’s not the same. So, both experiences are quite different, but rewarding in their own unique ways.

About the Book

A frightening, darkly comedic look at people surviving a zombie onslaught, from award-winning comics sensation and novelist Bob Fingerman.

A global plague has nearly vanquished mankind, the citizenry of New York City no exception. Eight million zombies. Shoulder to shoulder. Walking the streets, looking for their next meal of human flesh. The residents of an Upper East Side walk-up have bonded to keep themselves safe, the pageant of walking rot outside their windows a constant reminder of the their foreseeable fate. Forced to remain in the safety of the building, the tenants find themselves at each others’ throats. When they spy a lone teenage girl who walks among the undead, impervious, their world opens up.

Bob Fingerman's website
Reading with Tequila's review of Pariah

3 comments :

  1. Great interview! The book sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun interview. This sounds like one to look out for for my son. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! "he’s a different kind of plague" I actually laughed to tears with that one!

    Awesome interview. What an engaging author! I'm a big fan of sarcastic humor so I'm gonna have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete