Monday, September 6, 2010

Interview with Sandra Brannan

Sandra Brannan, author of In the Belly of Jonah, has been kind enough to stop by Reading with Tequila to answer some questions.

After living in Wyoming, Washington, D.C., Washington state, and Colorado, Sandra Brannan returned to her hometown in South Dakota, where she is surrounded by family. She enjoys working with relatives in the mining business; living in the Black Hills with her husband, Joel; smiling with pride over the journeys taken by her four sons; doting over her three grandchildren; and appreciating all of life’s blessings, too many to count. Sandra’s forthcoming titles in her Liv Bergen mystery thriller series are Lot’s Return to Sodom, Widow’s Might, and Noah’s Rainy Day.

Reading with Tequila: You work in the mining industry, as does your main character, Liv Bergen. Is she similar to you in other ways?

Sandra: Liv and I share a being one of 9 kids, having awesome parents, siblings, and coworkers, and sharing a passion for food and coffee. And of course we both LOVE working in the mining industry. But alas, we have more differences than similarities. Liv is young, bright, energetic and very single whereas my responsibilities are quite different. I am a wife, mother, and grandmother foremost and a miner second... and I don't wish Jack Reacher, Alex Cross, or Myron Bolitar would give me a call sometime, whereas I think Liv's still waiting by the phone. Although it's fun to live vicariously through that energetic spitfire known as Liv Bergen, the protagonist I hope your followers will learn to love, I wouldn't trade places with her. She's the best Liv Bergen and I can only be the best ME I can be.

RWT: In the Belly of Jonah features some sickening, but creative murders. Was there any point while you were writing that you thought you might be going too far or maybe even not far enough?

Sandra: Oh, great question! I write in a very unique way. I think about a book for about a year, sleeping on the characters and situations I script, never writing it down until I'm ready. I used to study for exams that way, too. The mind is a remarkable tool if you can put it to use in your dream state. Sometimes the character would wake me up with something evil they do and then I'd fall back asleep wondering what Liv Bergen should do to defend herself. The hissing hose in the first chapter of In The Belly Of Jonah woke me up one night, and I thought, "Oh gosh! What a scary way to die!"

RWT: You created a mutual admiration, possible attraction and even some tension between Liv and Streeter without ever having them meet or speak. Did you find this a hard task to accomplish, or are they two characters that seem to naturally gravitate towards each other?

Sandra: The two main protagonists in the series will continue to be Liv and Streeter. My poor husband and a handful of family and friends have had to read my earlier works and a few prefer the love story elements of my stories over the mystery. I can't tell you what happens, but Liv AND Streeter do indeed pursue relationships. Your readers will have to find out over the series if the relationship is between them.

RWT: In the Belly of Jonah is your first novel. I'm always hugely impressed when an author, like yourself, writes an amazing first book. How did the idea for this book first enter your mind?

Sandra: You know 'WHO DUNNIT' now that you've read the story. Not to give it away to your followers, but I will share that my inspiration was my utter confusion over why people gravitate to the works of the artist that the murderer idolizes. When you study his work, his self portrait for example, you will understand my confusion. Sometimes I wonder why people gravitate to certain art that repulses me. Then I remind myself it's what makes the fabric of our country so darn colorful!!

RWT: Can you give us any ideas about what the future holds for Liv? Is there any chance of her actually applying to join the FBI?

Sandra: Liv is 'healing' in the second book and returns to her hometown in Rapid City, SD, the heart of the Black Hills, to do her final week of rehabilitation and it happens to be during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Of course the motorcycle gangs play a role as does the FBI. And of course, another murder or two. As to her quitting her day job to join the FBI... ooh, that's a toughy! Both would be Liv's dream jobs!

About the Book

In the Belly of Jonah is a fast-paced mystery with a likable protagonist and an intricately woven narrative brimming with bizarre yet believable twists. The first in a series, the book expertly lays the groundwork for Liv Bergen, amateur sleuth, and her love interest, FBI Agent Streeter Pierce.

Liv becomes involved in the investigation of the murder of Jill Brannigan, a summer intern at the limestone mine Liv manages near Fort Collins, Colorado (a breathtaking setting that unwittingly becomes an accessory to crime). In doing so, she inadvertently puts her friends, her family, and herself at risk of being swallowed in the belly of a madman bloated with perverse appetites for women, surrealistic art, and renown.

Perhaps a bit too daring (and at times irreverent) for her own good, ''Boots,'' as Liv's eight siblings call her, soon realizes she has a knack for outsmarting and tracking down the Venus de Milo murderer--and she enjoys it! As the gripping plot of In the Belly of Jonah unfolds, Liv Bergen takes her place alongside the best female crime-solvers as a woman with smarts, self-confidence, and intuitive savvy.

Sandra Brannan's website
Check out the website and see if Sandra's coming to a town near you - She has prizes at her events!
She also has a contest for book bloggers on her site that you won't want to miss!

Sandra on Twitter
What makes a good mystery? Use the hashtag #livbergen on Twitter to participate in the discussion!

Reading with Tequila's review of In the Belly of Jonah



No comments :

Post a Comment