Friday, September 10, 2010

No Future For You by Brian K. Vaughn and Joss Whedon

Book Details
No Future For You by Brian K. Vaughn and Joss Whedon
Paperback, 120 Pages
2008, Dark Horse Comics
ISBN: 159307963X
Series: Book 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8

Synopsis
Eisner award-winning writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) tackles Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight with "No Future for You." When a rogue debutant Slayer begins to use her power for evil, Giles is forced to recruit the rebellious Faith, who isn't exactly known for her good deeds. Giles offers Faith a clean slate if she can stop this snooty Slayer from wreaking total havoc - that is, if Buffy doesn't beat her to it. Georges Jeanty (The American Way) remains at the top of his game as series artist, and Whedon stays on as "Executive Producer" in this direct follow-up to Season Seven of the smash-hit TV series.

Review
We get to see a lot of character interaction in No Future For You, between Faith and Giles, Buffy and Willow, and Dawn and Xander. The character pairings give Buffy fans something they've been missing since the end of the show - that wonderful spark between certain characters that we can't get enough of. Much of the past shines through as these characters take on new challenges together. Oh, and Dawn seems much less grating. Of course, that may be because I can't actually hear her as she's certainly still whining up a storm.

As the story continues in this second volume, we're still trying to get a good picture of what's going on. No Future For You moves along a little slower than the last volume, but that could be personal bias due to my intense dislike and disinterest in Faith and all that she does. Either way, No Future For You is still amazing - the pictures and the story.

I thought that reading these graphic novels would be a poor substitute that could possibly help to fill the void Buffy the Vampire Slayer left behind. To my complete surprise, this volume, along with its predecessor, is so very good, it ranks right up there with the very best episodes of the show.

Rating


2 comments :

  1. Ever since you alerted me to The Long Way Home, I've put these books in my 'cart', where they wait for me to get permission to buy! LOL

    I'm dying to read them, especially now that you say they won't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Missie - I can't wait to hear what you think of them! I love and miss Buffy and I know a lot f others do too, but so many are hesitant to try the graphic novels. I wasn't sure either, but I'm totally sold now.

    ReplyDelete