Saturday, September 4, 2010

War and Peas by Jill Churchill

Book Details
War and Peas by Jill Churchill
Paperback, 288 Pages
1997, Avon Books
ISBN: 0380787067
Series: Book 8 of Jane Jeffry Mysteries

Synopsis
Wealthy old Auguste Caspar Snellen, the legendary "Pea King," is long gone, but his greatest legacy lives on: the Snellen Museum, an institution dedicated to the glorification of local lore and legumes. But at this year's annual Pea Festival, the museum sustains a terrible loss when its able, innovative director, Regina Price Palmer, is shot to death during a noisy reenactment of a Civil War battle.

Suburban single mom Jane Jeffrey was a costumed participant in the deadly pageant. Now her part-time work at the museum has put Jane and best friend Shelley Nowack in the midst of a veritable podful of murder suspects. And it's up to Jane and Shelley to determine who fatally beaned poor Regina--before another victim is planted six feet under.

Review
Cozy mystery series usually have a general theme. Jane's a stay at home mom who participates in the PTA and has preformed volunteer work numerous times during the series. Therefore, this specific series doesn't have much that holds it together and the theme varies as to what Jane is involved with in each specific book. Because of this, it's difficult to go into the books knowing what to expect. One book may have everything you love in a mystery and the next could easily bore you.

In War and Peas, Jane volunteers to participate in a war reenactment and at a pea museum. Neither of these things hold any interest for me. While Jane herself could have carried the story, the focus was less on Jane and Shelley's investigation and more on the museum. No matter how much I love a character, watching that character participate in something I consider boring can ruin a book for me.

Luckily, I had no idea who the killer was in War and Peas. It was another case where I suspected everyone and no one. The book offers up a rather unexpected ending which is what saved the book in my mind. Not the best in the series by far and most won't miss it if skipped.

Rating

Links
Jill Churchill's website

2 comments :

  1. I love a good cozy. I've heard of her but have never read her. I have to like the lead character first and that helps me get through some the weird, crazy or boring "cases" they find themselves on.

    I like the whole SAHM thing since I am one. Suburban? No? but SAHM.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle - I usually enjoy Jane, but the whole history of peas in her town was a little much. I'm a SAHM (suburban even), so I definitely relate to her more than some other cozy leads.

    ReplyDelete