Monday, December 13, 2010

What's Up with the Deckled Edges?

Life gets in the way, creativity runs low, blah blah blah, and suddenly I realize I haven't had much in the way of discussion posts lately. Not to worry though, I had a big brain explosion and I've got a bunch coming up in the next few weeks.

What to talk about first? How about the hugely important topic of deckled edges. Don't know what deckled edges are? Yeah, I didn't either. Well, that's not strictly true. I knew what they were, I just didn't realize they had a name. I'm sure you've seen books like these before.


Deckled edges are the uneven edges some books have. Apparently they are well loved in the book community and books that have these edges often cost more than their straight edged counterparts. These edges are supposed to resemble homemade paper and give the book a classic as opposed to modern feel.

I get it. I can see how this might add to the overall reading experience. But, I'll admit, until I knew what they were called and what their ultimate purpose was, I used to be annoyed when I bought a book with deckled edges. Why? Because I immediately thought my book looked wrong. I mean, why did it have to have these uneven edges? Would it have cost that much more to even them out? What dastardly deed did I partake in that made me deserve such chaos? I'll also admit to being melodramatic and quite obsessive about how things are "supposed to be."

While the edges wouldn't ruin the book for me, they took away from my reading enjoyment. Why did everyone else get smooth orderly edges and I got this ridiculousness? I really would focus on it. I may now have to admit to having a problem. My name is Jennifer and I'm compulsive about minor details about books, especially their edges.

What's your take on deckled edges? Love them? Hate them? Never once considered them, but now believe I am a crazy person?

No comments :

Post a Comment