Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Nightshade by Michelle Rowen

Book Details
Nightshade by Michelle Rowen
Paperback, 352 Pages
2011, Berkley
ISBN: 0425239829

Synopsis
Jillian Conrad never believed in vampires-until she was unwillingly injected with a serum that was supposed to act as a deadly poison to them. Now, tormented half-vampire Declan Reese wants her blood to destroy the undead kingdom. Unfortunately, the serum has also made her blood irresistible to all vampires-including Declan, whose desire for Jillian is more than mere hunger.

Review
Nightshade started out eerily similar to the movie Blade. Half vampire, able to go out in sunlight, takes serum to fend off cravings, while keeping the humans safe from vampires. I almost put the book down thinking I didn't need to read it as I'd already seen the movie multiple times.

Thankfully, I stuck with Nightshade. The writing flowed so well that I became completely absorbed in the story. Before I knew it, I was halfway into the book and so in love with it that I couldn't have put it down if I wanted to. Yes, Declan started out a lot like Blade, but once he stopped taking his serum, he became quite his own character. Jill sees the difference in him and liked it as much as I did. Even though he kidnapped her, held her hostage, and she initially found him physically repulsive, none of that matters when we see the kind of person he truly is.

Jill isn't what you expect as a main character in this type of book. She doesn't have any type of ability. She isn't a fighter or experienced with weapons. She truly is just an average woman caught up in something bigger. Jill goes to hell and back at the whim of government funded scientists. But are they trying to help her or harm her?

Nightshade is amazing. The pairing of Declan and Jill is deliciously awkward and tension-filled. The excitement builds as it becomes harder to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys, until the fantastically unforeseen climax. I absolutely can not wait for the sequel!

Rating

Links
Michelle Rowen's
Website
Twitter
Facebook

No comments :

Post a Comment