Monday, May 16, 2011

Department 19 by Will Hill

Book Details
Department 19 by Will Hill
Hardcover, 540 Pages
2011, Razorbill
ISBN: 1595144064
Series: Book 1 of Department 19

Synopsis
Jamie Carpenter's life will never be the same. His father is dead, his mother is missing, and he was just rescued by an enormous man named Frankenstein. Jamie is brought to Department 19, where he is pulled into a secret organization responsible for policing the supernatural, founded more than a century ago by Abraham Van Helsing and the other survivors of Dracula. Aided by Frankenstein's monster, a beautiful vampire girl with her own agenda, and the members of the agency, Jamie must attempt to save his mother from a terrifyingly powerful vampire.

Department 19 takes us through history, across Europe, and beyond - from the cobbled streets of Victorian London to prohibition-era New York, from the icy wastes of Arctic Russia to the treacherous mountains of Transylvania. Part modern thriller, part classic horror, it's packed with mystery, mayhem, and a level of suspense that makes a Darren Shan novel look like a romantic comedy.

Review
I had been excited to read Department 19 ever since I came across the synopsis many months ago. But once I got my hands on it, the cover threw me. This definitely appeared to be a "boy book," something I don't have a great track record with. Happily, Department 19 turned out to be a "boy book" in the same way Harry Potter is a "boy book." Yes, boys will enjoy it and yes, the protagonist is of the male persuasion, but the action, adventure and even a little romance is clearly gender neutral in appeal.

I try not to read anything that has a military theme involved in the story line. It's just not my thing. Military is definitely a huge part of Department 19, but the story was just so mind blowing I didn't even remember I normally dislike military books until I sat down to write this review.

Jamie Carpenter watched as his dad was gunned down by the government after they deemed him a terrorist. Two years later, his mother is kidnapped by a vampire. Seems like two completely different stories, but like everything in this book, these events are shockingly and beautifully linked. Jamie is saved by Victor Frankenstein (yes, I did just write that) and whisked away to Department 19, England's super secret supernatural slaying branch of the government.

As Jamie hunts for his mother, we learn much about Department 19. The paranormal, both in myth and literature, come to life as the history of Department 19 unfolds. Those who love classic horror stories are going to love the way big name favorites are peppered throughout.

I'm not going to lie - I experienced the big ugly cry at the end of Department 19. Not just weeping, but full on sobbing, gasping for breath, snotty mess. Going into this book, I had no idea how much I would become attached to the characters. It was amazing. And heart-wrenching. I'm actually tearing up just thinking about it. Oh, why, Will Hill, why?

Department 19 was phenomenal. I devoured the entire 500+ page book in one sitting and don't think I could have put it down if I had to. This book has all the makings of an epic series and Will Hill is definitely an author to keep your eye on.

Rating

No comments :

Post a Comment