Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Book Details
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Paperback, 352 Pages
2008, HarperCollins
ISBN: 9780061214677
Series: Book 1 of Wicked Lovely

Synopsis
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.

Review
I knew nothing of Wicked Lovely before I started reading it. I think in the back of my mind I believed it to be a vampire book, and was pleasantly surprised to find the book was about faeries instead. Aislinn is one of the very few humans who can see faeries and I loved how this made her stronger, more able to see what was truly going on around her rather than having her be a damsel in distress.

Throughout the book I had a constant fear of Wicked Lovely turning into a cliched supernatural love triangle story. Keenan, a faerie king wants Aislinn, who in turn wants Seth, a human boy. I was very impressed with how the romantic angle of the story was handled and loved the strength and conviction Aislinn has when deciding how her all aspects of her life will proceed.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the way Wicked Lovely dealt with Keenan's previous human girlfriends. I'm not terribly schooled on faerie mythology, but the changes that happen to them just didn't ring completely plausible for me. Of course, this could be standard fare for the faerie world and I could be totally off base, but it just felt like a convenient way to keep Keenan's romantic past ever present whenever a new girl showed up in his life.

I'd heard from many people how wonderful this book is. It's a good book, but it didn't completely rock my world like others led me to believe it would. The story is unique and entertaining and while I liked many of the characters, I felt it was hard to come to love them. I was highly impressed by Aislinn, but it hard to connect with her. I enjoyed Keenan and Seth far more on a personal level, but the story and emotion really hinged on worrying about Aislinn's happiness and well-being. Being this is the first book in the series, readers will have many more opportunities to connect with Aislinn and I will definitely be reading on to see if I can do just that.

Rating

Links
Melissa Marr's
Website
Twitter

No comments :

Post a Comment