Friday, September 2, 2011

Feed by Mira Grant

Book Details
Feed by Mira Grant
Paperback, 608 Pages
2010, Orbit
ISBN: 0316081051
Series: Book 1 of Newsflesh

Synopsis
The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.

Review
Feed was one of the very few books I had to run out and buy the very same day I heard about it. Zombies (my very favorite of all the supernatural monsters) and bloggers (which, obviously, I would relate to) together in one book? Already awesome and I hadn't even opened the book yet. In my usual fashion, I bought the book, petted the book, and popped it on the shelf with the intentions of reading it as soon as physically possible. It sat there for a year, untouched. With every glowing review I came across, I looked at it longingly. Soon, I promised. I could kick myself for waiting as long as I did.

Feed is a book that I should have read immediately. It deserved to be read immediately. It must be well known at this point, I love me some zombie books. I've read spectacular and atrocious ones. I've come to realize that I may be a bit more critical of zombie books than ones that feature other supernatural characters, because I love them so and because the potential to veer off into the cheesy and ridiculous is high. So when I say that Feed may very well be the best zombie book I have ever had the pleasure of reading, it's no small statement.

Bloggers have become the people to get your news from after the zombie apocalypse. Their ability to get information out immediately, while maintaining absolute control of their message (meaning the unbiased, uncensored truth)  saved many lives in those first dark days of the infection. Feed follows newsie blogger, George, as she and her partners, are selected to be the first bloggers to exclusively cover a candidate in the presidential race.

We experience the story through old blog posts, as well as present day action and dialogue. This was a great format, as it allowed for the reader to learn about George's current situation while simultaneously experiencing all the fun background information about the zombie rising and aftermath. The book is serious is nature, as it's filled with politics, action, conspiracy, and life/death struggle, but manages to maintain an air of humor throughout. George and all its variations Georgia, Georgette, etc.) is the most popular name of the time, in recognition of how knowledge of George Romero's movies saved many lives. George's brother Shaun is an Irwin blogger, one who recklessly goes and pokes zombies with sticks, for example, just to see how they respond. Steve Irwin, anyone? Crikey, that's fun.

Even readers with no interest in politics will find themselves completely drawn into the presidential campaign in the book. Filled with action, mystery and conspiracy, it's engrossing while still giving a fairly decent look at the inner workings of a political campaign. Feed covers a huge amount of ground, spanning over different genres. It's horrific and grotesque at times. It's shocking and mysterious throughout. It's highly entertaining and thoroughly un-put-down-able. More than a sum of its parts, Feed is what every zombie book should strive to be.

Rating

Links
Mira Grant's
Website

No comments :

Post a Comment