Friday, March 30, 2012

Castaways by Brian Keene

Castaways by Brian Keene
2009, Leisure Books

Synopsis: Contestants on a Survivor-like reality TV show find the dangers are too real when they're stranded on a deserted island with inhuman creatures out to kill them.

Why read: Reality TV and horror? Sold.

What impressed me: Castaways was just great horror. It was scary and gross and kept me totally involved the whole story. I loved the mix of both human and inhuman evil out to get the castaways. I also loved the reality TV angle and how some of the character's personalities changed once things went bad and the cameras were off. I was completely impressed by Castaways and how it really used the Reality TV situation as opposed to it feeling completely gimicky.

What disappointed me: Character overkill. So many characters. So many names. So many things to remember about each. It was impossible to keep everyone straight. Not everyone needed a name and back story.

Recommended: Yes. Totally creepy. I'll definitely be checking out more from Brian Keene.

No comments :

Post a Comment