Friday, March 16, 2012

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
2006, Ace
Series: Book 1 of Mercedes Thompson

Synopsis: Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself ... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.


Why read: Heard great things about the series

What impressed me: I'll admit to being slightly wary of Moon Called and the rest of the Mercedes Thompson series prior to reading it. I've been getting into more werewolf books, but I haven't had much luck with shifters, especially those that are based on Native American skinwalker legend. I was really happy to find that Moon Called kept me very into the story the whole way through. I loved Mercy and her relationships with both the local wolves and those she grew up with. I thought the vampire and fey involvement played out well. The multiple types of supernaturals in the story were fantastically written and worked well with the story itself. Also, I loved that Mercy has a past that comes into play in the first book of the series. It explains enough about her without defining her completely and feels a lot more authentic than when series add those types of details down the road.

What disappointed me: From everything I've read about skinwalkers, don't they need an animal skin to change form? Mercy's not needing a coyote skin (or at least not mentioning that she did need one) sort of bugged me every time she changed.

Recommended:Yes. I definitely think this is a great book to get readers excited for shifters beyond werewolves, especially those who've haven't had much luck with the species previously.

Continue series:Yes. Moon Called set up a some great romantic potential that I can't wait to see play out.

No comments :

Post a Comment