Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
2001, HarperCollinsPublishers

Synopsis: An affectionate pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, White reminds readers to open their eyes to the wonder and miracle found in the simplest of things.

Why read: It's a children's classic I had never read before.


What impressed me: This is a nice, timeless story that easily teaches children about love, death and friendship.

What disappointed me: I didn't find the story nearly as emotional as I was led to believe I would. I didn't really enjoy the writing either. It had a tendency to go on and on and on listing synonyms. While that may help the middle grade reader learn new words, it was annoying.

Recommended: Yes. I believe this remains a story all children should read while they're young.

No comments :

Post a Comment