Thursday, February 28, 2013

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep
2011, K-Teen
Series: Book 1 of Mythos Academy

Synopsis: My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...

The Good: I found myself getting really very excited about this book while reading it. I had wanted to read it, finally got around to starting it, and as it progressed, I became more and more invested. That is a wonderful feeling while reading the book. Once I got into it, I fell in love with Gwen and the school. I seek out boarding school YA and judge it based on the multitudes I've read before. Mythos Academy is definitely up there with the best. I especially loved the ending and how it tied Gwen into the world more completely while promising many more adventures to come.

The Bad: It took me a while to get into Touch of Frost because of the whole warrior thing. All of the students were these super tough battle types and it was sort of overwhelming. I mean, what school - no matter how specialized - doesn't have its set of weaklings, outcasts and students on the fringe? Sure they were all separated into cliques based on their mythological heritage, but that only served to make Gwen the sole odd man out.

No comments :

Post a Comment