Friday, March 22, 2013

The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer

The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer
2012, Hyperion Book CH
Series: Book 8 of Artemis Fowl

Synopsis: Seemingly nothing in this world daunts the young criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl. In the fairy world, however, there is a small thing that has gotten under his skin on more than one occasion: Opal Koboi. In "The Last Guardian," the evil pixie is wreaking havoc yet again. This time his arch rival has reanimated dead fairy warriors who were buried in the grounds of Fowl Manor. Their spirits have possessed Artemis's little brothers, making his siblings even more annoying than usual. The warriors don't seem to realize that the battle they were fighting when they died is long over. Artemis has until sunrise to get the spirits to vacate his brothers and go back into the earth where they belong. Can he count on a certain LEPrecon fairy to join him in what could well be his last stand?

The Good: I'm a long-time fan of the Artemis Fowl series, but I didn't know what I was getting into with The Last Guardian. This is THE LAST BOOK in the series (not sure how that escaped my notice as I waited for its release) and it's written as such. Opal is back, ready to end the world with her new minions - warrior zombie/ghost types that are like nothing I've ever ready. Even the twins get into the fight! The action was non-stop and super emotional. The stakes were high throughout and while I'm sad to see the series end, this was a very good way to go out.

The Bad: I would have loved a little more at the end. It wasn't abrupt, really, but I generally like when MG and YA series give me a glimpse into the future since the characters are still pretty young when it ends. The ending was so powerful and game-changing, I think seeing a bit more on how it was dealt with would have been a sweet ending.

No comments :

Post a Comment