Monday, May 13, 2013

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins
2013, Disney-Hyperion
Series: Book 1 of School Spirits

Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?


The Good: I was so excited when I learned Rachel Hawkins was writing a Hex Hall spin-off series. I adored that world and hated saying goodbye to it. I never even read the synopsis for School Spirits, as I knew I couldn't wait to read it regardless of what it was about. About 5 pages in to reading School Spirits, I was severely disappointed. The Brannicks? Ugh. I never felt connected to them in the Hex Hall series and wasn't looking forward to reading an entire book (or series) about their adventures. I continued reading only because I had some faith in what Hawkins can do and found myself completely blown away. Izzy and her mom are ridiculously interesting. Their Prodigium hunting lives provide both action and mystery. Torin, the dude in the mirror, is an amazing character. Beyond that, Izzy goes to school for the first time ever, which was super fun. She becomes friends with the outcast ghost hunter club, and those kids are seriously great characters as well. I loved this book, despite my preconceived notions about the Brannicks. I can safely say this is one of my favorite books of 2013 so far and can't wait for the rest of the series so I can spend more time with these characters I almost missed out on. Oh, and Dex - amazing. You will love him.

The Bad: Absolute perfection. How will Rachel Hawkins top this?

No comments :

Post a Comment