Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top Ten Most Intimidating Books

Hosted by: The Broke and Bookish

 Books I Will Read Eventually

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James - Everyone has read it. I want to read it. But, I got a cryptic warning from a friend that said not to read it because it'll make me hate my husband. I'm not even sure what that means.



Under the Dome by Stephen King - I love Stephen King. This book sounds so awesome. But, it's so very, very long. Like it's so heavy, it hurts my arms - long.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck - I enjoyed Of Mice and Men, but that was with a fantastic high school English teacher holding my hand throughout. Not sure if I could appreciate Steinbeck on my own.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen - Jane Austen is very hit or miss for me, and regardless if I like the book or not, it takes me forever to finish one by her.


The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson - I want to love Shirley Jackson, but I haven't really enjoyed anything by her so far.

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare - Missed this one in both high school and college Shakespeare classes. Another one of those stories I'm not sure I'll fully appreciate without an English teacher nearby.

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - I love mysteries, and Doyle is so well known and popular. But, I don't always fair well with much older books, so I'm sort of afraid of disliking it.


Books I'll Most Likely Never Read

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - That book everyone had to read in school except for me. Is there any way to say "that book sounds like a total downer?" without coming across as flippant?

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - The IT book of, well, a bunch of years ago. I even owned this once, but never could convince myself to read it. I like being able to discuss books with "light" readers and this is one of those books many have read. But I just don't think it'll be my cup of tea.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - I have a friend who has basically breathed Les Miserables since we were in middle school. I would love to see what her fuss is all about. But I have a bad track record with Hugo and moreover, I do fairly poorly with books translated to English from their native language.

No comments :

Post a Comment