Friday, November 13, 2015

Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton

Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton
2009, Ballantine Books
Series: Book 7 of Merry Gentry

Synopsis: I am Meredith, princess of faerie, and at long last, I am with child–twins, fathered by my royal guard. Now I must stay alive to see my children born, as conspirators from every court plot against me and mine. They seek to strip my guards, my lovers, from me by poisoned word or cold steel. But I still have supporters, and even friends, among the goblins and the sluagh who will stand by me. Those who would defy and destroy me are destined to pay a terrible price. To protect what is mine, I will sacrifice anything–even if it means waging a battle against my darkest enemies and making the most momentous decision ever made as princess of faerie.

The Good: Another painful book for Merry. Another book where she proves she's strong enough to handle all that is thrown at here, even when she doesn't always believe in herself. A huge amount of action in a relatively short period of time means the book is extremely fast paced. Now down time, no opportunity to emotionally deal with all that's being thrown at us. Hamilton is on a role with consistent plot progression in the last few books and Swallowing Darkness takes us into some very unexpected places. Choices are made. Serious choices. Choices that readers will love and hate at the same time. The main question after this book is - where do we go from here? Merry's future is completely turned upside down, again, and while I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, I do know that it'll be a hell of a ride.

The Bad: Not a thing.

No comments :

Post a Comment