Monday, October 26, 2009

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Book Details
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Paperback, 352 pages
1818, Penguin Classics
ISBN: 0141439475

Synopsis
The epic battle between man and monster reaches its greatest pitch in the famous story of "Frankenstein". In trying to create life, the young student Victor Frankenstein unleashes forces beyond his control, setting into motion a long and tragic chain of events that brings Victor himself to the very brink. How he tries to destroy his creation, as it destroys everything Victor loves, is a powerful story of love, friendship ...and horror.

Review
I did not enjoy this book. I should have and probably would have if I hadn't seen so many Frankenstein movies. I knew that the movies veered pretty far from the actual plot of the book, but still expected something more. While the book was probably very scary and very controversial in 1818, it didn't really translate through the centuries. At least for me it didn't. I rated this book based more for being a horror classic and for basically inventing the creature feature horror genre and less on actual entertainment and merit.

Rating

2 comments :

  1. The same thing happened for me with Dracula and I'm a huge vamp fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, I've wanted to read this book fo such a lonmg time, and still haven't. Too bad you didn't enjoy it much.

    ReplyDelete