Sunday, October 25, 2009

State of Fear by Michael Crichton

Book Details
State of Fear by Michael Crichton
Hardcover, 567 pages
2004, HarperCollins
ISBN: 0-06-621413-0

Synopsis
Once again Michael Crichton gives us his trademark combination of page-turning suspense, cutting-edge technology, and extraordinary research. STATE OF FEAR is a superb blend of edge-of-your-seat suspense and thought provoking commentary on how information is manipulated in the modern world. From the streets of Paris, to the glaciers of Antarctica to the exotic and dangerous Solomon Islands, STATE OF FEAR takes the reader on a rollercoaster thrill ride, all the while keeping the brain in high gear.

Best Quote
"They're trees, Ted. Big trees. They have about as much of a message for mankind as an eggplant."

Review
Everyone knows about Global Warming. The Green House Effect. Our Carbon Footprint. How do we know about these things? The media. What if the media was giving us incorrect data? What if environmental agencies were tell us things were dangers when they really were the natural rhythms of our planet? That is what Michael Crichton is trying to get us to think about in The State of Fear. While a work of fiction, it is based in real data collected by scientists. It really made me think. It made me question what I have always believed about the environment. By the end of the book, I was left with the realization that I need to question the things I have always "known", the things that I have been told over and over again but never thought to research myself. Never thought that I wasn't getting the "real" story. This lesson is useful in every aspect of life and because of that, changed my life a little. It did all this while being very entertaining. You can't ask a novel to be any better than that.

Rating

Links
Michael Crichton's website

1 comment :

  1. Totally agree. I thought this was such a great read when I read it awhile ago. Had the same effect on me - made me question my thinking on the effect media and assumptions have on our lives - are we really as well-informed as we might think we are???

    ReplyDelete