Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Walking Dead, Volume 5: The Best Defense by Robert Kirkman

Book Details
The Walking Dead, Volume 5: The Best Defense by Robert Kirkman
Paperback, 136 Pages
2009, Image Comics
ISBN: 9781582406121
Series: Book 5 of The Walking Dead

Synopsis
As the survivors settle into their prison home something has drawn them out into the open... out of the prison... out of their sanctuary. This is a major turning point for the overall story of The Walking Dead, setting the stage for years to come.

Review
The Best Defense, the 5th volume in The Walking Dead series, introduces The Governor, a man who seems poised to become a villain more dangerous and deadly than any zombie we've seen thus far. The character is intense, and more importantly, unpredictable.

When Rick, Glen and Michonne (who I still dislike immensely, although she definitely grows on me in this volume) leave the safety of the prison to check out a downed helicopter, they're brought to The Governor. What he does to each of them is unnervingly messed up. Robert Kirkman never fails to surprise and between the The Governor's form of entertainment and the punishments he doles out, I found myself in a constant state of shock.

Is it just me or is Lori becoming the most aggravating woman left on the planet? She's cold, whiny, and extremely judgmental of everyone around her. We all know Carol is sort of useless without a man in her life, but Lori's reaction to her suggestion is over-the-top harsh. When a simple no could suffice, Lori must go that next step and just about ensure Carol's next suicide attempt. Some friend.

I am so in love with this series. I find that I care about many of these characters deeply and I'm never disappointed in how the story plays out. This may not be the post-apocalyptic zombie world I'd want to live in, but I love every new installment so much more than the last.

Rating

No comments :

Post a Comment