Monday, November 28, 2011

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
1992, Dell
Series: Book 1 of Outlander

Synopsis: The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Why read: Reading with Tequila Book Club selection

What impressed me: I had no idea what Outlander was about when I started the book and it really impressed me. A great mix of time travel, historical fiction and romance. I loved Claire and Jamie's relationship and how it progressed. I also really enjoyed Claire's struggling with her feelings for Jamie while trying to remain true to her husband two hundred years in the future.

What disappointed me: I didn't always understand what was going on, because the book was based both in the past and in Scotland. Certain actions, phrases and customs went over my head, but for the most part, it really put you in the time and place of the story.

Recommended: Fans of romance and historical fiction.

Continue series: Yes, but it will take a while. These books are huge.

No comments :

Post a Comment