Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Pet Sematary by Stephen King
2001, Pocket Books

Synopsis: ""Sometimes dead is better....""


When the Creeds move into a beautiful old house in rural Maine, it all seems too good to be true: physician father, beautiful wife, charming little daughter, adorable infant son -- and now an idyllic home. As a family, they've got it all...right down to the friendly cat.

But the nearby woods hide a blood-chilling truth -- more terrifying than death itself...and hideously more powerful.

Why read: Reading all of Stephen King's books

What impressed me: I feel like I'm constantly repeating myself when it comes to Stephen King, but the man knows how to write characters. Whenever I read one of his novels that I've already seen a movie version of, I'm always impressed by the psychological depth of his main character, which never translates to the screen and Pet Sematary is the same. Louis's inner thoughts and workings are far more important in this novel than any of the scares.

What disappointed me: There was an extremely long build up before things started getting spooky. While the ending was pure horror gold, I had trouble getting there because the beginning dragged so much.

Recommended: Eh. Nothing horrific in this novel that you won't find in the movie, so only big fans of the story may be interested in getting to know Louis Creed's mind better.

No comments :

Post a Comment