Monday, July 9, 2012

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lois Lowry
2002, Laurel Leaf
Series: Book 1 of The Giver

Synopsis: Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

Why read: Considered by many to be a classic.

What impressed me: The Giver totally lived up to the hype, and from reading it I can see why everyone compares the newest YA dystopian books to it. The world created in The Giver is clearly the basis of many modern day stories. Knowing The Giver came first makes this short but powerful novel even more impressive.

What disappointed me: I wish I had chosen to read this back in school, as I remember it being suggested reading may times over the years, but look at that cover. It's no wonder I never picked it up as a student.

Recommended: Definitely. The Giver is classic dystopian for a reason.

Continue series: Of course.

No comments :

Post a Comment