Monday, July 23, 2012

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard
2007, HarperTeen
Series: Book 1 of Pretty Little Liars

Synopsis: Three years ago, Alison disappeared after a slumber party, not to be seen since. Her friends at the elite Pennsylvania school mourned her, but they also breathed secret sighs of relief. Each of them guarded a secret that only Alison had known. Now they have other dirty little secrets, secrets that could sink them in their gossip-hungry world. When each of them begins receiving anonymous emails and text messages, panic sets in. Are they being betrayed by some one in their circle? Worse yet: Is Alison back?

Why read: I wanted to check out the book before watching the TV series.

What impressed me: Sadly, not much. It just did not work for me.

What disappointed me: I love YA, but Pretty Little Liars was way to young for me. The secrets these girls have are, well, lame. I expected a much larger does of scandal to carry an entire series, but their shameful, hidden pasts aren't so awful that I can see continuing the secrecy when being tormented about it. Maybe I would have felt differently as a teen, but I doubt it. I've never been much for secrets and shame and had q really hard time grasping why these girls would let someone hold these things over their heads instead of just owning them.

Recommended: No, at least not for adult YA fans.

Continue series: No.

No comments :

Post a Comment