Monday, April 1, 2013

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
2006, Penguin Classics

Rating

Synopsis: Taking readers deep into a labyrinth of dark neurosis, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a deliciously unsettling novel about a perverse, isolated, and possibly murderous family and the struggle that ensues when a cousin arrives at their estate.

The Good: It's a classic and paved the way for female horror writers to more widely acknowledged and accepted.

The Bad: Maybe I just don't appreciate subtle tension and a large build-up, because We Have Always Lived in the Castle dragged for me. I couldn't get into it, couldn't get excited about it, and was pretty pleased it was short so that it wouldn't continue to dead forever. Mary Katherine is always scared and for a protagonist, really didn't know much. Constance is always scared, to the point you want to put her out of her misery. Uncle Julian is annoying. And sadly, the slowly moving plot was no better than the characters. I wanted to love this, I really did. I appreciate it's place in horror history. But, it so did not work for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment