Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
2008, HarperCollins
Series: Book 1 of Darkest Powers

Synopsis: My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost - and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? it's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House...before its skeletons come back to haunt me.


The Good: I was surprised how quickly and totally I got into The Summoning. I love Kelley Armstrong, and everything I have read by her thus far, but ghosts just aren't my thing. Troubled teens, paranormal abilities and boarding school type places are definitely my thing though. Especially when it's written well, which always applies to Armstrong's works. There are some great mysteries here, plus a lot of tension that could be leading fun places. This is a series I'm very excited to continue.

The Bad: The staff and others associated with Lyle House are a bit far reaching. They work in the story, but they are written with a lot more power and clout than one would realistically expect in the real world.

No comments :

Post a Comment