Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
1996, Bantam
Series: Book 1 of A Song of Ice and Fire

Synopsis: Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.


The Good: People rave about this series. I just didn't get the appeal. From what I had heard, it seemed like every other generic fantasy epic saga. But I sort of wanted to finally check out the TV series (5 seasons behind everyone else) and I have a need to read the books before seeing the movies and shows based on them. So I went into A Game of Thrones expecting to be bored quickly and often. I was absolutely shocked at how quickly I got sucked into the story. I read this book for 3 days straight, did not put it down. Read it walking from one room to another. Read it and woke up with it on my face after my 3 hours of sleep, only to continue reading it immediately. I had to know what was going to happen next. I came to care about the characters in a painful way. Painful, because even those who don't read the series and watch the show know of GRRM's need to kill everyone all the damned time. The book was long. It was very detailed. It is also one of the very few books that carries its length well. This wasn't a case of a lazy editor - oh no, GRRM just packs a ton of wonderful into every single page. 

The Bad: Not a thing.

No comments :

Post a Comment