Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

 Ready Player one by Ernest Cline
2011, Random House

Synopsis: In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the  OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

The Good: I loved this book, and that was a huge surprise. I was vaguely intrigued way back when I heard about this book pre-release, but once I got my hands on it I continually put it off. I love the 80s, but 80s gaming isn't my specialty. I got sucked into the book immediately and read it for hours after I had planned on going to sleep. I picked it up the next day and didn't put it down until I finished it. I was completely enthralled, loving the 80s movie and music mentions, even if the gaming went a bit over my head at times. I often found myself thinking that this was the coolest book every written. The stakes were high, always, and the world was so creative - virtual and real world. I'm currently counting the days until the movie is released, some 2 years for now - it's a long count.

The Bad: Not a thing.

No comments :

Post a Comment