Sunday, December 11, 2011

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner
2009, Ace
Series: Book 1 of Deadtown

Synopsis: If you were undead, you'd be home by now...

They call it Deadtown: the city's quarantined section for its inhuman and undead residents. Most humans stay far from its borders-but Victory Vaughn, Boston's only professional demon slayer, isn't exactly human.

Why read: When I first started book blogging there was a lot of hype about this book's release, so I bought myself a copy.

What impressed me: I liked the dystopian elements of Deadtown. The town itself, its reason for existing, and the inevitable fighting for the rights of its citizens were entertaining and gave the reader much to consider. Zombies, vampires and werewolves are all represented and offer interesting possibilities for the future.

What disappointed me: Deadtown suffers from detail overkill. The world, and Victory herself, need explanation, but the way things were described was hard to get into. It's a common problem for first books in a series that have a lot of background that needs to be known but it dragged on in this care. It also didn't help that the book began with Vicky poking around in a client's dream world. I am not a fan of dream sequences of any kind. I didn't really like the demon aspect of the book, especially Vicky's role in the fight against them. I thought her shapeshifter attributes were enough, without having to overload her with witchy abilities and ties to demons.

Recommended: Urban fantasy fans who believe the more paranormal species, the better.

Continue series: I plan on reading Hellforged, the second book in this series, in the hope that it grabs me a little more than Deadtown did.

No comments :

Post a Comment