Friday, August 12, 2011

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

Book Details
My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent
Paperback, 384 Pages
2009, Harlequin Teen
ISBN: 0373210035
Series: Book 1 of Soul Screamers

Synopsis
She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…

Review
My Soul to Take, the first book in the Soul Screamers series, completely blew me away. The series puts a wonderful spin on banshee (or as in the books, bean sidhe) folklore, creating an extremely interesting supernatural species that I can't wait to read more about.

Deep down, Kaylee knows she's not crazy. Sure, she sees an occasional person who makes her scream hysterically until her throat is raw. Her "panic attacks" come rarely. Or at least they used to. This time though, the hottest guy in school calms her by singing and, well, the girl died.

I loved Kaylee and her experiences learning about what she truly is. I love how it effects her family and the conversations that result. I really liked Nash too, and while I found what they could be to each other intriguing, his interest in her struck me something more of need and proximity than love or lusty thoughts. I'm very interested to see how this relationship pans out in future books.

My Soul to Take is based on a unique premise and I was very impressed by the mystery in the book. I never saw that ending coming and it made the book something truly special. I plan on devouring the next couple books in the series as soon as possible.

Rating

Links
Rachel Vincent's
Website
Twitter
Facebook

No comments :

Post a Comment