Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Book Details
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Paperback, 656 Pages
2010, Anchor
ISBN: 9781400079148
Series: Book 3 of Robert Langdon

Synopsis
In this stunning follow-up to the global phenomenon The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown demonstrates once again why he is the world’s most popular thriller writer. The Lost Symbol is a masterstroke of storytelling that finds famed symbologist Robert Langdon in a deadly race through a real-world labyrinth of codes, secrets, and unseen truths . . . all under the watchful eye of Brown’s most terrifying villain to date. Set within the hidden chambers, tunnels, and temples of Washington, D.C., The Lost Symbol is an intelligent, lightning-paced story with surprises at every turn.  This is Dan Brown’s most exciting novel yet.

Review
I generally enjoy Dan Brown's books and from the start, The Lost Symbol was shaping up to be his best yet. Much like his early work, The Lost Symbol is an adventure novel devoid of religion, but with the addition of Robert Landon and his uncanny knack for solving historical puzzles. Taking everything good from Brown's previous novels and leaving out the rest, The Lost Symbol should have been perfect.

I say should have been perfect because it had two glaring problems. First was its length. I don't mind a long novel, as long as there is a reason for the length. The Lost Symbol reiterated plot points ad nauseum, as if it was attempting to drill the facts into your head. Much of this could have been remedied by a strong editor, but as is the case with many super-bestsellers, I don't think anyone wanted to tell Brown his novel had some issues.

Secondly, and much more important than the length, was the ending of The Lost Symbol. The story was chugging along, taking me on a wonderful adventure through Washington DC while teaching me about Masonic history. As we raced towards solving the mystery, disaster struck. The entire book culminated in religious philosophy. It was like Brown couldn't help himself. He became popular only after he began writing about religion, so while 96% of The Lost Symbol was something completely other, he still had to throw in a little God.

I wouldn't have cared if the entire book has been religious in nature, as I liked Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. The problem for me was because it was so completely unnecessary for the story to end up there. Hundreds upon hundreds of pages of build up about the mysteries of the universe should have revealed something more shocking.

I'm torn in my feelings for The Lost Symbol. I loved the story, but hated the ending. I loved the setting, the characters, the mystery, but really, just hated the resolution. If only I would have stopped reading before the final secret was revealed, I could have loved The Lost Symbol completely.

Rating

Links
Dan Brown's
Website

No comments :

Post a Comment